Besides my research activites, since some years I'm working on a series of initiatives related to the popularization of the culture underlying computer scientce. Specifically, I am among the founders of the ALADDIN laboratory, between 2012 and 2017 I have been delegate of the Head of the Computer Science Department for the activities concerning perspective students and popularization and between 2013 and 2017 I have organized the activities of the commission for perspective students and vocational orientation of the Science and Technology division of the Milan University.
Activities for perspective students
Since 2006 I am involved in several activities devoted to the publicization of higher education at the Computer Science Department of the Milan University. In particular, between 2010 and 2012 I headed the commission for perspective students, and between 2012 and 2017 I was delegate by the Head of the department to cultural promotion and counseling for perspective students. Specifically, I work on the following activities,
- Meetings in high schools and organization of visits at the Computer Science department, with the aim of presenting the teaching activties in the computer science area at the Milan University.
Welcome day for first-year students of degrees in the computer science area.
- Presentation of the degrees in the computer science area at the University open days.
- Intensive courses high school students.
- Lecture cycles for high school students.
High school teachers interested in organizing a meeting, a visit or in planning a teaching activity can send an e-mail at the address firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the University Center for perspective students and placement.
My teaching activities are in part devoted to the perspective high school teachers.
- Teacher of Informatics teaching between 2015-16 and 2017-18 (within the master in Computer science).
- Selection of the participants in the abilitation course for teachers of Computer Science (2012/13-2014/15).
- Teacher of Teaching 1 in the abilitation course for teachers of Computer Science (2014/15).
- Teacher of Informatics teaching in the abilitation course for teachers of Computer Science (2013/14).
- Teacher of Operating systems and networks in the abilitation course for teachers of Computer Science (2012/13).
- Teacher of Symbolic processing laboratory in the Postgraduate school for teachers (2006/07).
Popularization of computer science
I have worked on the following activities for the popularization of computer science:
- talk at the conference «STEM with and in the city» about gender gap in computer science (Università degli Studi di Milano, 19/4/2017);
- talk at the conference «Gli stati generali dell'alternanza scuola-lavoro» about mixed work/university teaching paths in computer science (Università degli Studi di Milano, 10/4/2017);
- talk at the conference «Quando i matematici non entrano in aula» about informatics teaching (PRISTEM, Trento, 9/4/2017);
- presentations and round tables at the Museo Nazionale della Scienza e della Tecnologia «Leonardo da Vinci» during the European researchers night in 2015 and 2016;
- experiences for schools and general public during the European researchers night between 2013 and 2016;
- book «Alan Turing – La nascita dell'intelligenza artificiale», published by Grandangolo Scienza;
- the radio programme Digito ergo sum, broadcast on Radio popolare in 2011 and 2012;
- a set of experiences for school students and general public in the festival The adventure of science organized yearly between 2010 and 2012 by the Division of Mathematical, Physical and Natural Sciences fo the Milan University;
- several information activities describing the modifications of the higher education system in Italy contained in law 230 of 4/11/2005 and law 240 of 30/12/2010 (the so-called Moratti and Gelmini reforms) and of its funding by the government (law 133 of 6/8/2008), addressed to professors and students of the Division of Mathematical, Physical and Natural Sciences and to the general public.
Informal learning of computer science
Since 2011 I collaborate on a project about the informal learning of computer science, involving experimentation at high schools, two BSc theses in computer science. The obtained results are described in some scientific papers. Building on this experience I participated in the following activities:
- the design and organization of a set of computer science laboratories addressed to high schools within the Matematita center;
- the organization of INFOCULT, a conference on the popularization of computer science, held in Gargnano (BS) in 2011.
Diffusion of software for scientific computation
My research activities often require me to write custom software, typically using tools I contribute to circulate through: